Thursday, August 24, 2017

Of secrets, tennis shoes, field trips and anything else

Image credit

The girls came home from a week end with dad, excited to share that they went fishing and eagerly explaining how they caught so many fish and had to scale them.

When we responded wow that sounds like fun, where did you go?  They responded swiftly with: it’s a secret!  We can’t tell you!

I took that in stride and glossed over it, marveling again on how much fish they caught, then proceeded to finish dinner and do our normal goodnight routine.  DD1 had huge amounts of homework to do.  So when DD2 brushed her teeth, and I was helping her get ready for bed, I asked her, how does it make you feel to keep a secret?  She hugged me close and said, not good mommy.  And, we went to the pier but don’t tell DD1, or A or daddy I told you.  So I hugged HER closely and said that I was glad she had a good time, that fishing sounds fun, and that it’s okay to do fun things with dad.  I also said, and you know some secrets are fun, like a fishing spot, and also I’m your mommy and it’s okay to tell me anything.  Especially if there is a secret that makes you feel even just the tiniest bit funny or weird.  It’s OKAY to tell your mommy.  DD2 seemed fine and since it was early, we picked two books and read them and off she went to sleep.

As for DD1, who is standing firmly in tweenhood, her response was quite different—although to be honest, I’ve had the “secret” conversation with her when she was DD2’s age as well.  Anyway, this go around her response was rolling her eyes and that “I LIKE having secrets from you mom,” and “it’s fun to have secrets, and besides you don’t understand everything anyway.”

To which I responded, you know when I was growing up, I didn’t want to tell Grandma G everything too.  But it’s also my job as your mom to tell you that it’s okay to tell me ANYTHING, even if you feel frustrated or think I won’t understand.

Her response, of COURSE you won’t understand and a big dramatic sigh and throwing a blanket over her head (since she was going to bed).

Okay, honey, I said, but it’s still my job to be your mom and be here for you for ANYTHING.  This elicited more monosyllabic sighing.  Although after I said goodnight, she came into the bathroom where I was getting ready for bed to talk about her iPad use the following day, and I took this to mean that she was just trying to be near me.  And the following morning when she was getting ready, she wanted me to sit in the bathroom with her while SHE was getting ready, so I’m just riding out this “push-pull” tween thing this week.

I did try and re-cap my approach to “secrets” and that it’s okay to tell mommy ANYTHING on the way to school, to which DD1 rolled her eyes and said, I KNOW YOU’VE TOLD US A THOUSAND TIMES ALREADY. 
(me: trying not to laugh).

So onward to the field trip and shoes.  The next night the girls had their weeknight overnight. After which I was accused of not returning DD2’s shoes and all the problems wearing flip-flops instead of his shoes to school presented—as I was endangering DD2 by letting her stub her toe and having some kid run over it with his rolling backpack.  Also for neglecting to send along the information about DD2’s field trip since she didn’t tell him until the morning and they needed to pack her lunch and she needed to wear her shoes (which he took another opportunity to tell me I hadn’t returned them). 

Hmm…the shoes that were in DD2’s backpack; clearly someone forgot to look before sending me a scathing email.  As for the field trip, reminders were sent home and put in DD2’s daily journal which someone clearly didn’t look at the night before, either. 

And so it goes.  Onward, forward.  Deep breaths.  It makes me feel like doing the monosyllabic sighing that my tweenster does when frustrated.  To be honest, I was super upset earlier this week, but now feel quite zen about it.

The good news is that the girls are home for the rest of the week so I’m looking forward to having some girl time with them.  Most of their extracurricular activities don’t start until next month, so it’s a mellow week end ahead.  Hurray!



x

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, as always, you handle everything with such grace and patience. The secret keeping is so bizarre and immature (on your ex's part). I'm so puzzled by it. Then the scathing emails regarding things that he has failed to read and do...this really stinks of the beginnings of PAS. One of the signs is the other parent holding up the target parent to perfection and constantly reminding the children of all the mistakes the target parent is making. Sound familiar? So, keep a close eye on DD1 behavior. I know some of it is normal tween stuff, but be cognizant of odd reactions to you and changes in her.

    that said, so glad you're zen about it now and that you have the girls all weekend---yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    Thank you so much for your help. I worry constantly about the PAS. I talked this over with my therapist and friends and they are thinking it has to do with his "control" over information. That the best I can do for both girls is to always know i'm there for them and to not belabor the 'secret beach' situation. The communication channel is for the most part open, so I continue to be watchful and vigilant.
    Thanks again so much for stopping by and for your words of encouragement and support! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. Not looking forward to the eye rolling stage at all. Told my mum the other day that I was sorry for every single one, but I was sure I'd be getting back double when it was my turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I hear you, Liv! I think of my mom often these days and the phrase "the grandmother's revenge" LOLLOLLOL <3 <3 <3

      Delete